RMX ECO is our most sustainable concrete mix which incorporates 70% of Ground Granulated Blast furnace Slag or ‘GGBS’ made from a by-product of the steel manufacturing industry. This replaces traditional Portland cement found in our other readymix products.
This concrete significantly reduces the levels of embodied CO2 whilst also having increased durability. It’s also considered more aesthetically pleasing as the colour is almost white compared to standard grey concrete.
- Reduced level of embodied CO2, no mineral extraction
- Almost white appearance making it aesthetically appealing
- The initial setting time is slower than concrete with only Portland cement, however its gains strength over a longer period
- Can withstand heavy loads, high levels of abrasion and aggressive chemicals
- Easily pumped or placed direct from the truck
- Strong and long lasting
- Sustainable product
- Improved long term performance
- Minimizes the risk of thermal cracks in mass fill pours
- Reduced labour and equipment cost when poured direct from the truck
- Significant time saving and increased placement speed
Climate resilience and impact are important considerations within the built environment. And because concrete forms a major part of any construction project with an estimated 60 million tonnes of it used annually in the UK, specifying the appropriate mix can help to reduce CO2 emissions and achieve green targets as assessed by certification bodies such as BREEAM and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
To achieve better CO2 performance the traditional cement constituent is replaced with Ground Granulated Blast furnace Slag (GGBS) which is made from a by-product of the steel manufacturing industry. Manufacture of GGBS requires less than a fifth the energy and produces less than a fifteenth of the carbon dioxide emissions.
Using one tonne of our sustainable products reduces the embodied CO2 by approximately 900kg compared to using our standard Portland cement based products.
Whilst our RMX Eco has 70% GGBS mix within it to give improved sustainable benefits, we can incorporate a proportion of GGBS into most of our other products to generate a much lower level of embodied CO2 emissions.
Get in touch for further advice from our technical team to discuss your requirements.